Vuclip Secures $8M in Series C Funding From NEA and JAFCO; Video Views Surpass Two Billion
Today we are very excited to be announcing two landmarks in our progress as a company; firstly we have secured $8 million in Series C funding from New Enterprise Associates (NEA) and Jafco Ventures. We appreciate working with these top tier partners and enjoy their ongoing professional as well as fiscal support.
We are using the funds raised to invest in the back end development and technology which keeps Vuclip ahead of the game – we currently transcode mobile videos for more than 5,400 devices! We are also working on further improvements to our analytics tools for our carriers, advertisers, and content partners.
The second piece of exciting news is that we have passed the 2 billion mark in the number of video views served since we started Vuclip in 2007. One of the most fascinating parts of my job is observing the virality of different mobile videos. You can discover the anatomy of a viral video and how fast it traveled here.
The past couple of months have seen a lot of interest both in breaking news such as the tsunami in Japan, and lighter hearted watching of fun videos like the two babies talking, or the UK Royal Wedding. Naturally there were high levels of Vuclipping by cricket fans watching the cricket world cup and the IPL championships. But as well as the big hits, there’s the long tail of videos shared person to person across the 200 countries where people use Vuclip. Below is a list of our top 10 most viewed videos from the last month.
Vuclip’s top viewed videos: April 18 – May 18 2011
- Jacqueline’s Bold Look in Murder2!! (India)
- Mentos + Yakult= ??? (made in Singapore, viral in the Philippines)
- Mel’s Hiddent Talent!!! (made in New Zealand, viral in USA)
- The T-Mobile Royal Wedding (made and viral in the UK)
- Awesome Street Drift: Mullholland Highway (made in the USA, viral in Malaysia)
- ألو…أبوي ألو…أبوي - Little orphan girl chats to her Daddy (viral in Saudi Arabia)
- Grandma Dances Like Michael Jackson, China’s Got Talent (made in China, viral in USA)
- Baby Sleeping (made and viral in USA)
- Todo por un mensajito. (‘A little message for everyone’). (2008 UK road safety video, viral in Venezuela)
- Gracias Mama (viral in Venezuela)
Co-founder & CEO